Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Finally - Cannon's First Day of School!!

Well it came 3 weeks later then his brother and sister's time, but today finally marked Cannon's 1st day of school.....ever!  I have been so excited for this day to finally get here...but honestly as it got closer, I was starting to get a little nervous.  I was still so excited for him b/c I know how much he will love it and have so much fun once he adjusts, but just nervous b/c he has never really been away from me in a different place for any extended amount of time.  We've been trying to lessen the shock for him by visiting his classroom when we pick up Brooklynn in the afternoons just so he can be somewhat familiar with it.  He was a little clingy each time but seemed to be interested in it.  Baby steps right???

So anyway...we got all ready this morning and took our pics to mark this very important milestone in his life...sniff...my little boy is growing up!  He was loving the excitement that we were building up for him before we left.   I kept telling Brookie to tell him how much fun he is going to have and all the new friends he will meet...not really sure how much he really "got" out of that but still...definitely couldn't hurt just in case.

 Such a cheeseball....he was all smiles this morning...he just looks so big to me!!!




Then I attempted to get a pic of the 2 of them together....lol - why do I even bother???

Cannon was more interested in trying to open his backpack to see all the stuff that was in there....



Well we got to school and drop off went much smoother than I expected.  I decided to drop Brooklynn off first in her room since I wasn't too sure what we'd get out of Cannon.  There were a couple other kids crying in there - one just started a week ago so he is still fairly new to this as well...and he's not really adjusting to well from what I have been told - poor boy.  So he was pretty upset and that was distracting Cannon long enough that I could get everything unpacked and put away.  Well since he was fine for the moment, we decided that it would be best for me to just sneak out...I hated that I didn't say bye to him, but I KNOW that would have definitely set him off.  So I left before any tears were shed from him. 

The day before the school had sent an email out requesting parent voluteers to help with some stuff in the morning after dropoff...so I figured that would be a perfect solution for me to be able to just hang around a little longer to make sure he was ok.  I snuck back about 20 mins later to peek in his window and of course he was crying by then...but they were busy playing with him trying to distract them - definitely had it under control.  A few mins later all the classes walked by the workroom where we were at and he was walking with his class to go sing songs with the whole school.  Before I ended up leaving, I asked one of the staff to peek in at him in the big room and she said he was fine and sitting there nicely.  So I left feeling better that he seemed to be doing ok.

I was so excited to pick him up - couldn't wait to hear about his day - obviously he wasn't too bad that they felt I needed to come get him.  When we finally were able to go back, I walked through the door and he was ALL SMILES!  Made me so happy...of course he was so excited to see me but they told me he had a pretty decent day.  A few tears here and there which were to be expected, but overall did much better than we were all expecting - yay Cannon!  They said when they were all in the big room in the morning singing songs, he was upset, so they brought Brookie over to sit with him and he calmed right down....such a good big sister.  And the biggest shock of the day was that he actually SLEPT ON HIS MAT!!!  I think he was so worn out from all the excitement and was just so excited to finally get his special blankie from home, it was probably such a relief to be able to just slow down a bit.  I know over time he will learn to love it there just like his big sister....way more fun then spending all day with his mom - ha! 

Now it will be interesting to see what happens on Friday when its time go back for day 2.....now that he knows that I leave him there...  :)

1 comment:

  1. cute cute photos!!!! Yes, that is a shih tzu in the picture. We've been very lucky and Belle is the perfect dog. My parent's had a male shih tzu that was wonderful too. However, my cousins have 3 and they are terrible with their kids. We did take ours to puppy training when she was a baby and she's very trained and disciplined. Maybe that has something to do with it? Who knows.

    ReplyDelete