Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This & That

Well we made it back home safely late Friday afternoon - always nice to get back home again.  It was a loooooong day in the airport.  Our flight didn't leave until 3pm, but we got to the airport around 8:45am for 2 reasons.  1st the G20 Summit was going on in Toronto this same weekend so security around Toronto and at the airport was insane - the whole downtown area was pretty much on lockdown and they were saying to expect a lot of delays getting around the city as several major highways were shut down and delays at the airport.  As I learned on the way up there - getting through the airport with 2 small kids is no easy task and it takes time to get checked in, go through security and then go through customs...so we knew we needed a LITTLE extra time at least.  2nd reason is b/c that is the time we could get one of my brother's friends to give us a ride to the airport with a big enough vehicle for all our suitcases.  So we pretty much just did what we had to do - and spent the entire day in the airport.  The airport part wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be with 2 little kids.  Cannon pretty much slept the whole time other than when it was time for a bottle.  A few times I just went for a walk with him and that always does the trick.  Brookie was loving the moving sidewalk so that kept her busy for a while with Uncle Michael.  Then we got completely lucky and another family came and sat down right behind us with 2 small little girls.  Within minutes they were all playing together and had pretty much taken over a couple of rows in the waiting area with all their toys.  It worked out wonderfully b/c their flight wasn't until after 2pm also so we were all there for the long haul.  So that kept Brookie entertained pretty much the entire time - whew!  Here is a pic I took of them watching some movies on my laptop at one point...lol - so cute! 

Anyway...I thought we got off pretty lucky with how good the kids were behaving. We got on the plane and I could tell Brookie was worn out - we all were....but still it wasn't anything too bad...just a little whining about wanting to lay down right away - even when we were just taxiing down the runway.  Just told her to hang on 5 more mins and then when we took off she could lay down.  So as soon as we were in the air, she was out.  Actually we all pretty much were....sooooo peaceful :)  Here's a pic that my brother apparently took while we were all fast asleep.

Little did I know this wouldn't last - ha!  We slept for maybe an hour and then I woke up and then shortly after Brookie & Cannon woke up.  Well Cannon was hungry so I made him a bottle and he was happy.  Then Brookie did a complete turn around and just started flipping out about EVERYTHING.  She was not happy - didn't want to sit in her seat, didn't want to play with any of her toys, read any of her books, didn't want to lay down, didn't want to do anything except scream.  Yep - we were one of THOSE families.  I was so embarrassed....and there was nothing I could do - we were trapped for another 2 hours.  She did calm down here and there and play a little, but it would all start up again and pretty much did the same thing for the rest of the flight.  Even when we were about to land - she was throwing such a huge fit not wanting to sit down - and obviously at that point there was no choice but to sit....so I have never been so happy to be back on the ground and out of the airplane.  No one was rude to us and actually my brother said everyone around us seemed to not even notice the commotion in our row....and I remember way back when reading something or being told that it always seems worse than it really is.   The funniest thing was that after we were at the gate and people were getting off (since we had to wait until the end to get off the plane b/c of all the extra things we had to pick up) - Brookie was standing up on her seat and saying bye and waving to each person as they got off. Seriously?????  Is this not the same kid who only 5 mins earlier was screaming like someone was torturing her??  Honestly I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.....but I think I may be done with airplanes for a little while with these two....hahaha!  Needless to say I was exhausted when I got home and crashed a lot earlier than usual.  Spent the whole next day just relaxing at home and unpacking - that was pretty much the only thing I could handle at that point.

Anyway....the rest of the weekend was nice spending time at home and with Andy's family swimming.  It is so hot here....you pretty much have to be in the water if you want to be outside.

Today was my 1st day on my own with all three kids.  Everyone is alive and well (including me).  It went better than I expected.  I actually got a lot done too - 2 loads of laundry, a load of dishes cleaned and put away, bed made, straightened up the kitchen, clipped coupons and went through my coupon wallet and got rid of all the expired ones and reorganized it, played outside with the kids on the waterslide, made lunch, got 2 younger kids down for a nap, made dinner, went for evening walk, bathed 2 younger kids, got them to bed for the night.  I am worn out..but I actually enjoyed today.  Hopefully every day will be this productive and the kids will have a good time too.  Here are some pics from today outside playing.  My friend Natalie came over with her daughter Blakelyn and they all played on the waterslide and had a blast.


And finally....look who is a big boy now!!!  Everytime you hold him, he wants to stand up and jump....he is so active.  So I got out Brookie's old Rainforest Jumperoo and he loves it!  He is still a little small for it so I just put some blankets down behind him to prop him up some and he just smiles non stop.  He doesn't last too long in there yet...but I have a feeling this thing will get some great use again.  Brookie used to go crazy in this thing.....too funny!
He loves the blue frog that hangs in front of him - he will just stare at it forever!
Like Father, Like Son - there's no doubt who his Daddy is....he was GLUED to the tv when he was in him jumperoo - he wouldn't look at me for nothing!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the flight. We've only taken Lauren once. She was bad by any means but she was so busy. It wore us out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute, cute, glad yall made it home okay. Hope to see yall this weekend sometime! Love ya Aunt Judy

    ReplyDelete